The Critic

Navy trousers Jones New York, similar - Side stripe sunglasses, similar here
Light blue bow flats Gio Zanotti, similar in block heel version - Black tote bag Furla, similar on sale 
Blue striped button down shirt, similar but with a cool collar , another similar one 
 
Blue, white and black vintage scarf Burbon Cock tail edition, here one with similar colours 


A few days ago I read Ally's post on toxic relationships we may have with out closets. It reasoned with me as yes, I accept having emotional attachment to some items. It also reasoned because I was able to identify some of those toxic friends or toxic garments in my own closet, for example, "the critic". 
As Ally best says, "the critic" is a garment that "says she’s providing tough love and encouragement, but really all she’s doing is highlighting your faults". 
This shirt fits that category, because its the shirt that gaps between the buttons and that I cannot freely move in. I'm self conscious of the gaps and it's highlighting my chest. I've worn it at least five times in the last 8 years, but in every.single.picture I can see me trying to justify its existence in my closet. Until today, the critic is now gone. 

DO you have a critic in your closet? That item that constantly reminds you of a fault?



10 comments

Laura B said...

I do that all the time! It's hard to get rid of some items for some reason. It's darling with the scarf though!

Sheila said...

I love that term for those items - and we know which ones they are!! I try to weed them out quickly. I don't need my clothes to criticize me!

Miguel Gouveia said...

Thanks a lot :D

you look fabulous :)

NEW OUTFIT POST | A LOT OF THINGS YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT ME!!!! :O
InstagramFacebook Official PageMiguel Gouveia / Blog Pieces Of Me :D

Brooke said...

I'm so guilty of holding on to things I just don't wear and don't feel good in. They're just pretty on the hanger! Good for you letting go of something you don't love.

Brooke
Pumps and Push-Ups

Jodie's Touch of Style said...

It's frustrating to have pieces like that in our closet. I'm usually good about purging them but not until I've tried to "fix" them....some just aren't fixable!!
XOXO
Jodie
www.jtouchofstyle.com

Courtney Erin said...

I think I have more than one critic in my closet, unfortunately. And now I'm thinking I need to change that...

Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

Lydia said...

That was an insightful article , and if I'm being honest, I could pull a few critics from my closet.
https://www.iamchiconthecheap.com

minimalissmo blog modowy said...

Hm, but You look good in this shirt, especially with this scarf. The pictures dont show the details, so... I trust You :)

Mica said...

I love the scarf with the shirt! :)

I find button up shirts hard to get the fit right on, being petite and having erm 'changed' chestal region post babies, haha!

After my eldest was born anything I couldn't fit back into went away, I wasn't going to stress myself out over things that used to fit but no longer did, I definitely don't have time for 'critic' pieces in my wardrobe. What a good way of looking at it! :)

Hope that you are having a great week so far :)

Away From The Blue Blog

Natalie S said...

I can think of several shirts that used to make me go through the same situation. Im happy to say I got rid of them!