Cotton

Sometime in March we were driving back to
the city from a nearby farm when I saw a cotton bush.

Cotton seeds
It had been a while since I had seen one, so
I got off the car and picked up a few cotton balls.


When I got home I separated the seeds from the 
fluffy cotton and used it to remove my nail polish.

Cotton seedling
Thought it would be a good idea to plant the seeds.
The seeds germinated!
Maybe the day will come when I never have to
buy cotton balls again...



In the meantime it has gotten me thinking about cotton.


Lately I have been noticing that over time I see less and less garments 
made out of natural fibers.

Finally planted in its permanent home. Now all I have to do is wait.
Seems like synthetic fibers are more common these days.

DO you look at clothes' materials when shopping ?

I know I do.




6 comments

Unknown said...

Wow....beautiful!!!!

Thank yuo for visit my blog! visit my last post dear if you like! My best look: ABabpositive metallic

Stacey said...

I don't think I really look at the materials - I usually just go by what feels good against my skin - to be honest I'm not a huge fan of 100% cotton garments.

Sheila said...

I love that you just planted that yourself. I always look at fibre content. I prefer silk, cotton or viscose (made from plant fibre), as well as all kinds of wools. There are some good synthetics out there, but it has to feel good.

drollgirl said...

how exciting! your own cotton balls!!!

RE: FABRICS!!!!! IT DRIVES ME CRAZY THAT ALMOST EVERYTHING IS MADE OUT OF POLYESTER. this fabric does not breathe. sure it doesn't wrinkle easily, which is nice, BUT IT DOES NOT BREATHE AND IT MAKES THE WEARER SWEATY! I CANNOT STAND THAT!!!!!!!!

Elegance and Mommyhood said...

I am curious to see how the plant will grow. Keep us updated. To this day nothing beats Cotton in my book. Yes, I do look for materials when shopping. I don't want to do any dry-cleaning. Esp. for the baby I want all of her clothes to be cotton.

Anonymous said...

I live by some cotton farms here and see the seeds on the ground sometimes. Haven't tried planting any myself though. I miss cotton clothes, especially pretty cotton shirts and skirts. Almost everything (t-shirts included) these days seems to be made of polyester.