Mexico's Alebrijes

I am in Mexico City.


This time I am staying in a hotel that sits in front of the emblematic: El Angel.



I decided to get up very early and try to take a few pictures there.


El Angel, which of course translates to "the Angel"
and stands for Mexico's independence.


As I walked on the main avenue of Reforma I saw color.

H&M black tuxedo jacket - Black trousers H&M - Melissa red shoes - Striped tank New York & Company

Color that caught my attention ... they are "alebrijes" - I was told.




Alebrijes are are brightly colored Mexican folk art sculptures of fantastical creatures and they are being exhibited on Reforma.


There are dozens of them...


A-l-e-b-r-i-j-e-s ... i am still having a hard time saying the name!

12 comments

Terri said...

Beautiful art--I wonder where they are displayed when they aren't here. Looks like glorious weather there today.

Kim (A Very Sweet Blog) said...

Ok, that angel is AH-MAZING!!! So breathtakingly beautiful Lorena. Now, the creatures! HAHAHAHAHA Gorgeous colors, but they are scary. LOL You look great doll! Love your red shoes :)
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Lisa said...

I really love your suit.
The El Angel is so beautiful...what a nice thing to see out of your hotel.

I love the color and lively-ness of your photographs.

Mica said...

What a beautiful view from the front of your hotel!

The alebrijes look stunning, so bright and colourful! :)

The Small Fabric Of My Life said...

What colourful pictures and you look so elegant.

SIENA.STYLE said...

wow great pictures!!
kisses from Milano
http://sienastyle.blogspot.it/

ana said...

Ay sin son muy bellos los Alebrijes jaja y si es un poco dificil de pronunciar... me encantaron tus zapatos!! muy lindas las fotos del Ángel de la Independencia

..EmiLiA..* said...

Lore que padres fotos. Que bueno que hayas disfrutado de la ciudad de México =)
Saluditos te ves muy guapa

drollgirl said...

HOW FUN!!!! oh mexico! i hope you are having the best time ever.

years ago i stayed in mexico for a week. it was one of my favorite vacations! how i would love to go again, but we are CONSTANTLY warned about the beheadings and other awful killings taking place in mexico's drug war(s), so tourism is discouraged. but i hope to go again soon.

enjoy yourself! i am so jealous! lol

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

I love these pictures. It makes Mexico City look like such a vibrant place.

*Erin

Fashion Tales said...

These are very nice artful photos. I love the colours so vibrant. Hope you're enjoying Mexico City, gosh memories ... I haven't been there in a long while. xx/M

Elegance Personified said...

WOW Mexico City sure is as beautiful as I have heard. Love it. These photos are all great and so are those colorful pieces of Art. You got on a very sophisticated outfit, too. Love the wrap sweater and dark red pumps. =)