So I begin a journey...

I have never really been a person who follows fashion. 
When I was in high school my budget was tight and most of my clothes were bought for me, meaning I did not have many options.
As I got older I was able to chose some items but, did not really "have a style".
At the moment the important thing was to have certain items such as those black Reeboks with the hot pink laces.. but I was not so much into trends.
I recall wanting anything from the Esprit and Benetton brands which were extremely popular. 
I did not care what color, or if it matched... it was a "brand" stage as I see it.
Later on, I began to "copy" people, or at least what they wore. 
I had a Spanish classmate who always wore bermudas with t shirts and moccasins, so I tried to follow that trend until I think she noticed and I felt kind of stupid about it.
Growing up I did not have much closet space, so what I had, I had.
Now, that I look back I wish I could have done better, but I did what I could with what I had at the moment.
I did keep whatever my style was then very plain, not too colorful and I was never fond of showing too much skin.
So, how did I get to this point: My Every Day Wear ? 
Well, after finishing school, college, the usual MBA and changing jobs a couple of times I am still rehearsing.
I still do not have a style I can call my own, I am still searching.
I worked in advertising where I remember having a co worker who dressed up everyday, sometimes she came in looking like a pirate, others as a Swiss girl direct from the Alps, but, she always nailed it. I worked there for about half a year, she complimented me only one day, so you can imagine what I probably looked like !
Anyways, from there I moved on to a company in which I wore uniform to work for almost 6 years.. so I only had to pick clothes for the weekend, which made my dress mode very simple.
While using the uniform I do recall adding on scarves, pins and brooches but, nothing significant.
After leaving this company I moved on to marketing environments.
For anyone who has ever worked elsewhere and then suddenly finds oneself in a marketing environment, it´s eye opening, if you know what I mean.
It´s colorful, creative, daring, show off... and there I was, simply clueless.
My clothes were usually never figure defining, always dark, not creative, 80% of them from the sales rack and non flattering. 
Sometime, somewhere around this time I began to evolve and still am.
I have a friend who was always color coordinated, always perfectly fit, accessorizing... I began to silently follow her.
I then realized that brown and turquoise can go together, that pins make wonders, that scarfs in the right color can make you glow...
Later on I moved on to another job... where I attend conventions, presentations, visit different countries and am a little more exposed to trends.
I gasped at the mere thought of me having anything to do with all of the above, but almost four years later here I am doing things I thought I would never do. 
While traveling I was able to see trends from many countries in different seasons (where I live you only dress for hot hot summer or rainy rainy days).
Traveling opens ones eyes, it has enabled me to visit real "live" thrift shops and vintage shops as where I live these are non existent.
During my many hours slouching in airport chairs waiting for connections,  I became a fan of certain magazines like InStyle.
A few months back I came across a site called Polyvore... in which I found a lot of inspiration.
I have been Polyvoring everyday since then.... and now I think I can try to not only document my daily wear but also watch myself evolve ... hopefully in the right direction.



No comments