Fixing your hand bag handle

It's happened way too many times: new bags, old bags, expensive and not so much. Whatever material the handle has been covered with, it begins to crack, tear, peel or just plain fall apart. This is what happened to my extra large straw bag and I was not ready to let go. Keep on reading if you want to know how to repair your hand bag handle. 

Depending on the type of bag, choose your materials. In my case since the bag is informal and straw, I went for leftover fabric from a dress I made. If it were leather I'd probably buy velvet or satin ribbon.

You will need: a pair of scissors, material of your choice and stainless fast drying glue for fabric.

Step 1: Clean and remove all the previous material or as much as you can. I used a dry cloth and then a toothbrush. Afterwards I used a damp cloth and then let air dry for about thirty minutes. This will help glue adhere better.
Step 2: While the handles dry, cut the fabric in several long strips or one long one. 

Step 3: As the handle straps have dried, begin to cover with glue the part where the handle begins, close to the bag. Wrap the fabric around the handles tightly, do it adding glue where needed. Always making sure you cover the damaged handle. If you cut the fabric in several long strips like me, you will have to stop to get another piece of fabric and continue glueing until you have reached the other side of the handle. Once there, cut off any remaining fabric and add glue to the edges to keep it in place and then use a clothes pin to hold it.
Step 4: Let it dry for at least one day before use... and voilá you've added more wears to your bag !




12 comments

Straight A Style said...

What a good DIY fix to such a common problem!

Amy Ann
Straight A Style

Oh to Be a Muse said...

I had this happen to one of my leather handbags, but I haven't fixed the handle yet. Thanks for this fab DIY!

So Alice said...

This is a very clever, amazing effect my dear :-)

Closet Fashionista said...

Oh wow! So clever!!
Sadly my bags where the handle does that are all leather and its just the piping thats coming up so I can't do anything about it, haha.
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Yonosoyunaitgirl said...

Nice post! XX

Mica said...

This is a really clever idea - and it looks so nice worn with your matching dress! :)

Thankfully none of my bags have done this recently, but I do have a few pleather ones that dried out and flaked with the heat and I didn't know I could have done something like this to fix them!

Thank you for sharing :)

Away From The Blue Blog

Shea Lennon said...

Oh this is so smart and I love how it turned out! It adds such a fun detail to the bag too!

Lydia said...

Very clever, I always hate it when handles get ruined before the rest of the bag.
http://www.iamchiconthecheap.com/

Jodie's Touch of Style said...

Brilliant, Lorena!!
I was just telling my husband that my yellow purse is wearing out because this is happening to the handles!!
I think I need to pick your brain more for these ideas!!
Thanks tons!
XOXO
Jodie
www.jtouchofstyle.com

Natalie S said...

Very creative!

A Very Sweet Blog said...

Because I have thrown many away! This is an excellent idea!
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Anonymous said...

hermes outlet online
golden goose outlet
off white
jordan 12
supreme
off white outlet
bape t shirt
supreme outlet
yeezy 700
kyrie shoes