5 reasons to thrift


My first thrift ever was a bright fuchsia back pack, I was in the seventh grade. I recall the thrift shop, it was well lit and had aisles and aisles of products. I've seen a lot of thrift shops, consignment stores and flea markets since then.
Most of my friends are not thrifters, the fact is I have some that even look down on it. A short time ago while traveling with a friend, I suggested we enter a second hand shop and she could not believe it. She questioned why in the land of malls (we were in the US) I wanted to go to a store that had used clothing. She just shrugged and said "Ugggh, I don't want to go in there". What I never understood was, why ? I mean I know first hand that like me, while growing up she had hand-me-downs either from her sisters or from relatives - what was the difference in her head, I will never know. 

Anyways, a few weeks ago I was talking to the owner of a consignment store and I told her about my friend, we both laughed and agreed on one thing: She had no idea what she is missing out of. Now, if you are like my friend, here a just 5 reasons why you should thrift at least once in your life:

1. No twins: Running into someone wearing the same garment is minimised if not totally eliminated.
2. Quality: Odds are that you will find garments of better quality than what is in stores right now.
3. Budget: Most second hand stores are super affordable and if you're lucky like me designer items can be found at superb prices.
4. Surprise: The element of surprise, meaning you really, truly never know what you will find. 
5. Learning experience: While thrifting you learn about styles, fabrics, designers, union labels, cuts, sizing... If you find something interesting or unknown to you: google it. You'll be amazed.

One last thing: it's slow fashion: the deliberate choice to buy better-quality items less often. Environmentally friendly and ethically conscious.


So are you a second hand shopper or are you like my friend ; ? 

5 comments

Sheila said...

You know I'm all about shopping second hand! I'm constantly amazed at all the great deals and quality finds I discover.

Mica said...

Although most of my wardrobe is new, I do have quite a few secondhand things. In fact I know a few people who were surprised I went shopping for second hand baby clothes first! You just get better value.

Now I'm short on time I shop less, only because it's rare for me to find things and if I'm looking for something specific it's better to go somewhere I'm guaranteed to find it. Looking forwards to having more time to enjoy browsing when my boys are bigger! Just like my mum and grandmother, I enjoy browsing even if I don't always buy :)


Away From The Blue Blog

backinstyle said...

Nice post, Lorena. I enjoy thrift shopping, but I know it's not for everyone. I think it's fun to see the crazy array of styles and colors mashed up together and try to pick things out that might work for me. It's a great way to give something a try that is a little out of my comfort zone, and for all of the reasons you point out, too!

Lydia said...

Ahh you know I love to thrift, though lately I've been lured back into my eBay addiction, and also added poshmark to the mix. I love finding unique vintage pieces, but I also enjoy getting things that I wanted when they were in the retail store but couldn't afford or missed out on, only to have them turn up second hand a couple years later.
www.iamchiconthecheap.com

A Very Sweet Blog said...

When I was younger, I never thought I would. But I've found many great pieces second hand on eBay. I love them.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/